As Wyoming's first and only female Attorney General Gay Woodhouse has forged new pathways for women in the practice of law over the years. She also acted as an Assistant United States Attorney (1990-1995) handling both criminal and civil federal litigation. Her background in civil and criminal litigation is extensive. Since beginning her own law firm in 2001, she has expanded her breadth and knowledge of the law into many different areas of law. Her first priority is the client and providing the best advocacy possible for the client in whatever circumstance they find themselves.
Ms. Woodhouse is a past president of the Wyoming State Bar (2007-2008) and previously served as a Bar Commissioner for Laramie County, First Judicial District (2002-2005). She focused on the juror and providing recognition and appreciation for people who serve as jurors, including the development of a documentary called, The Wyoming Juror. She has also focused on the professional development of female attorneys and received the Equality Award in 2010.
She served as Laramie County Commissioner in 2009-2013 and as Chairman of the Board of Commissioners for Laramie County in 2012.
She is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals, the United States District Court for the District of Wyoming, and has appeared in virtually every District Court for the State of Wyoming.
She currently serves on the Criminal Rules Committee for the United States District Court for the District of Wyoming and as Chairman of the Criminal Justice Assistance Standing Committee for the District of Wyoming.
Professional Associations,Memberships and Activities
- American Bar Association, 2001 to present
- Wyoming State Bar (President, Officer and Commissioner) 2002-2008
- Wyoming Trial Lawyers Association
- Super Lawyers
- Top 100 Lawyers in the United States
- Laramie County Bar Association
- 2012 Appellate Advocacy - Young Lawyers Conference
- 2012 Practice of Law - University of Wyoming College of Law
- 2011 Marketing Your Practice - Women's Law Forum
- 2010 Women in the Law - United States Attorney's Office
Volunteer and Community Activities
- Safe Harbor Board of Directors
- Cheyenne Rotary, Board of Directors
- Prevent Child Abuse Wyoming
- Southeast Wyoming Mental Health/Peak Wellness Board of Directors
- University of Wyoming, B.A. 1977
- University of Wyoming, College of Law, J.D. 1977